Monday, September 24, 2007

We're under contract!

"House by the Railroad"
by Edward Hopper
24" x 29" oil on canvas, 1925

Yes, we're under contract with the house I've been telling you about! Can you believe it?! It's been a pretty amazingly difficult process but to try and make a long story short...the bank lowered the price, we made a third and final offer, the bank countered, we wouldn't budge, the bank wouldn't budge, then they finally accepted our offer last Thursday. Who knows why.

Now the bank is only giving us 7 calendar days to get all the inspections done and get repair estimates back to them. Then James and I will have to decide whether or not we can afford to move forward or if we will need to walk away.

When I saw the above Edward Hopper painting this morning I had to laugh because this new house is about a quarter of a mile from some train tracks. Since I am Miss Tender Ears...I have been stressing about whether or not the sound of a train going by a few times a day will bother me. For James...he stresses about the money and the repairs. For me...I stress about the sounds and who the neighbors are! What a roller coaster week this shall be!

I don't have any new paintings to show you just yet as the two commissions I'm working on are very detailed and time consuming. Between those and the new house...I haven't had much time to do any abstracts or still lifes either. That's the way it goes though...so I am just taking things as they come and am squeezing in as much painting time as I can. Thanks to my clients who are so wonderful and patient with me right now.

Wish us luck this week...we'll need it! I'll keep you posted on our maybe, almost, could be, might be new house! xoxo

“If you could say it in words there would be no reason to paint.” ~Edward Hopper


12 comments:

LINDSAY said...

Well, if it means anything--I live close to train tracks too...I can see it roll by when there's no leaves on the trees. The noise doesn't bother me at all. It comes through several times a day, and I hardly even notice it anymore, unless the kids get excited about it...and we have a neighbor dog who howls at the 7:15 train! he's so funny!

Anonymous said...

I was hoping something good was going on with you guys! I noticed your absence! I wish you so much good luck! I love the sound of trains, it seems there has always been one close by. I would prefer that to the sound of the highway that is close to us! My Grandma and Grandpa lived right next to the "L" in Chicago. I loved to visit and listen to the trains go by and feel the building shake. It's one of my favorite childhood memories! Anyway, Good Luck to you guys!

Ro Bruhn said...

Congratulations Linda on the house.
We have a tourist steam train near us that goes by three or four times a day and it sounds wonderful.

Jill Beninato said...

Yay! Congrats Linda!!!

Ruth Welter said...

Linda, congratulations on the house, that is such wonderful news. Also, I used to live in a house that was right in front of the train tracks...several times a day, the train would go by, also in the middle of the night as well. We wondered the same thing you did, whether or not the sound would bother us. After a few weeks, we became so used to the train, we didn't hear it anymore. I don't think it will bother you once you become accustomed to the sound.

Tara's Art Camp said...

Lots of luck this week, wow, that's amazing! I love Edward Hopper. I have not seen this one though. You can get use to the train noise if its not TOO close, infact it might become quite soothing!

Clare said...

Hi Linda! Moose and I are really excited about the house and hope all the details go smoothly. I happen to love the sound of trains going by. When we've stayed in hotels near the tracks, I've been happy as a clam. I really like the Hopper painting -- he's awesome. Best of luck with everything!!
:)

Christine Throckmorton said...

I love Hopper! I'm still lamenting the fact that I couldn't get to Boston this summer to see the big Hopper show at the MFA. The painting you posted is a nice consolation, though. =D

This is great news about the house! It will all work out for you; I'm confident. Breathe deep.

xoxo

Amy Cameron Evans said...

What exciting news! Congratulations. And I'll bet you'll enjoy the occasional rumble of the train on its tracks ;)

Looking forward to posts about unpacking boxes and paint colors for the walls!

xo from Mississippi

Unknown said...

Such exciting news! It is funny how these new adventures never come without our fair share of doubt and hesitation! I had my own doubts, which haven't entirely disappeared, but slowly I am falling in love with our new home. I think you will too!

Unknown said...

Hey, Congratulations on this new milestone! It's all so exciting!!! How wonderful!! The sound of the train passing by will turn into a beautiful melody, once you own the house. :)

kate said...

Now how did I miss this post?? Darn, I wish I had seen it before now! That is wonderful news ... this news makes me want to do a dance ... and might be just the ticket for getting to sleep. Lytton would dance if he could too. I will now cross my fingers and hope really hard that everything works out, that you'll be able to get the house ... and oh my, the Hopper painting is wonderful.

And here's a big hug too,
kate ox