Tuesday, October 09, 2007

In Limbo!

"Goat Daze"
Roy DeForest 2005
60" x 80" acrylic on canvas

Oh joy, James and I are in real estate limbo! We still don't know the outcome of the house...so our brains are floating between here and there. In order to get my mind off that this morning I thought I would show you the works of a couple of great artists.

I love the paintings of Roy DeForest, who unfortunately passed away last year. We studied him a lot in school as he was a very prominent Bay Area Artist. He loved animals, especially dogs and he incorporated his own dog in many of his pieces. The whimsical child-like quality of his work is a joy to look at.

Another great painter is Agnes Martin. She is a Canadian-American Artist who is a Minimalist. The painting below is probably one of her most unusual and colorful pieces. Get your Tivo set because tonight on PBS there is a special on her life and work. Looks really interesting.

"Untitled" 1952
Agnes Martin
watercolor and ink on paper
11 3/4" x 17 3/4"

Guess that's about it for now. Time to get down to the studio to try and finish a dog portrait commission today. I'll let you know if we hear anything about the house...but don't hold your breath. Geez!

"I can see humility
Delicate and white
It is satisfying
Just by itself...
And Trust
absolute trust
a gift
a precious gift
I would rather think of humility then
anything else.
Humility, the beautiful daughter
She cannot do either right or wrong
She does not do anything
All of her ways are empty
Infinitely light and delicate
She treads an even path.
Sweet, smiling, uninterrupted, free."

~Agnes Martin, 1973


8 comments:

Archie and Melissa said...

Hi Linda!
You are James are doing great hanging in there! Emmitt in his pug wisdom asked me to tell you that he thinks "No news is good news, and then he added "COOOKIEEE, please!" at the end of his thought. All his thoughts end like that.
Love ya!
Melissa

Jonna said...

Been there. House buying and car buying are two of the things I dislike most doing. Hang in there I'm sure it will all work out for you.

Moira said...

Fingers and paws crossed from me and Darby (whom I picking up today.) Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Right back at ya!

p.s. cool art :)

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

i am still praying that you hear about the house soon...i hate waiting...blessings, rebecca

kari and kijsa said...

Thank you so much for sharing the info and paintings. we always love to see and hear about artists and their work! Good luck with the house,
blessings,
kari & kisja

Amy Cameron Evans said...

i love agnes martin's work but have never seen the painting you posted here. thanks for reminding me of her and, of course, for the tv plug. i hope to catch that.

and hey, i spy a donkey!

Clare said...

Hi Linda! I'm so sorry about the house limbo -- I had thought and hoped that things were finally going along ok. Moose and I are back to crossing our fingers and toes so that all goes well. Thank you for sharing these incredible artists with us. Wow -- what beautiful work they've done.
:)

Ro Bruhn said...

Love the top painting Linda.
I hope the house plans end up successful for you, the waiting is always the hardest.
Good Luck
Ro
xo